Tuesday 2 June 2015

The Propinquity Effect

The propinquity effect says that we are likely to choose friends based upon how frequently we interact with them (Heine, 2010). A personal example of this would be the friends I have made and maintained throughout my time at university. During frosh week, we were exposed to students from all faculties as well as from all residences to encourage new friendships within the STFX community. Throughout the first semester I spent at university, I made friends with individuals of all ages, from all programs, and all residences. The friendships I maintained though, are relationships that were formed over consistent or constant interaction such as those who lived in the same residence that I did, those who are in the same program as I am, as well as those who are my own age and share similar interests.
When considering who I am still friends with from the beginning after finishing my third year, I can't help but notice that most of my friends are people I lived with as well as those who are in my program. The fact that I was almost forced to interact with these people in more than one social setting (both living with them and having classes together) led to other simple activities we did together such as eating at meal hall or going to the gym together.
As a student who has spent three years in the HK program, it is not surprising that the activities I do with friends in my program involve physical activity or health related programs. Having classes in the same building as the gym almost makes it wrong to skip out on physical activity, right? This is just one example of how exposure to those with similar interests affects my personal choices.
I'm not saying I haven't built or maintained friendships with others who are not in my program or who I didn't meet in residence, but it is certainly easier to stay friends with those who are constantly part of your daily or weekly routines and who share similar interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment