Monday 11 May 2015

Cultural Views

Personal views and perspective always have and always will vary across cultures. Growing up as a Canadian in a small anglophone rural community, I have experienced different expectations and personal opinions than would someone of another culture, whether it be because they speak another language or because they live in a different setting or climate. Because of the country I am from, I am already considered a part of a particular culture. I fell into the classic stereotype of a hockey player when I was younger, and I also have an interest in the outdoors. Coming from the family I did, I had expectations to attend some sort of post-secondary education once I completed high school, as my parents as well as society have pushed young individuals to be as successful as they can. 
I am fortunate that my parents themselves have been successful enough to appreciate and understand the importance of higher education. Especially as a female, I have had opportunities that have been beyond what some may ever imagine. Although typically Canadians are encouraged to participate in post secondary education and to take the opportunities available to them, many places in the world do not. Some countries have the expectation or mind set that women should stay home with the children, and their daughters should stay home to help as well while the men go to work. I am by no means stating that this is right or wrong. I am however comparing what is culturally acceptable in different parts of the world and I am amazed at how much they differ. 
Much of my identity is defined by the culture where I was raised and continue to live in. If I had not grown up in a rural, Christian community in eastern Canada, I likely would not have the same beliefs and opinions that I do today. Culture may often be looked at from the outside as something specific to countries or climate, or race or religion. At least that is what I assumed before learning more about cultural psychology. Now I realize that culture can vary simply by moving towns in the same area, or making a small change in your life. For example, the university culture is much different form the 'real world.' I say this because I never imagined that my views, thoughts, and opinions would improve or change so greatly when I moved to begin university. The university culture has forced me to make friends with people I had not imagined having anything in common with beforehand. It has also given me countless opportunity to meet so many interesting people from cultures all around the world. Because of this, I feel as if I am more educated on a variety of cultures. I look back at the person I was in high school and realize how narrow minded I was, and how I had beliefs and opinions on areas that I didn't have nearly enough education in. 
Culture and its variations of traditions is intriguing and I hope that at some point, everyone has the chance to experience a culture different from their own. Sometimes it is difficult to step outside of the box and try something new, but it is so important to understand the meanings and stories behind different cultures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment