Monday 25 May 2015

Downward and Upward Social Comparison

While reading about downward social comparison and upward social comparison, I was reminded of many personal situations or instances which I was affected in one way or another. Downward social comparison was defined by Heine (2012) as comparing your own performance to someone who is doing worse than you. This is obviously a confidence booster- who doesn't like to get the highest grade on a test or make the most money on their pay check? This competition reminds me of my friends and classmates and I both when I was in high school and even now as I attend university. It may never be spoken aloud but there is always some type of competition when it comes to grades. Personally it is a good feeling when I receive a better mark on an exam than my circle of friends because I feel as if I have accomplished something even if my mark is actually a poor mark as well. I am aware that this is wrong, in fact I wish competition among grades didn't exist, but I cannot help myself but wonder how everyone else does on an exam or assignment that I had as well.
Heine (2012) defined upward social comparison as comparing our own performance with someone who has done better than us. This, to me anyway, is a confidence killer. Most often it is not a good feeling when you know you have received a lower mark on an exam than all of your friends. It makes me feel as if I have failed at what it was I should have achieved. That being said, it drives me to do better personally the next time.
As I mentioned before, I wish social comparison didn't exist sometimes although I am just as guilty for participating in it as the next guy. For better or for worse though, social comparison has always been around and certainly isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment