Monday 11 May 2015

Theory of Mind

A topic in cultural psychology that captured my attention is theory of mind. This is a theory which means that there is an understanding between individuals that everyone has their own minds which differ from one another. Just because someone has been raised the same way and in the same cultural setting as you have, does not mean that their perspectives and opinions will be identical to yours. It is actually quite common for people who grew up in similar environments to have different thoughts and views on the world.
A personal example of this concept would be that my brother and I, who grew up in the same household, raised by the same parents, and shared almost all of our life experiences together, have completely different interests and opposing point of views. However, we both are understanding of each others goals and views on life even though they are not compatible with one another. When he has an idea of what he wants, whether it be a video game or making a decision as big as choosing a career path, there is no changing his mind once he has it made up. He does not depend on the opinions of others nor does he go back and forth weighing his options. He is able to make a decision quickly and that is that. On the other hand, when I am making any sort of decision I spend a good amount of time analyzing each of my options and weighing out the pros and cons of all of them. My brother is also very much a homebody and enjoys spending most of his time alone. I however am very social and always have plans with friends or family to fill my spare time.
Despite our differences, my brother and I have an understanding and acceptance of each other. I understand that he wont have the same interests and feelings toward certain things or situations that I might. His mind simply works differently than mine, and that does not make us enemies or ruin our relationship as siblings.
Having an understanding of theory of mind is definitely important in life as a whole because as we encounter individuals from other cultures we are bound to have clashing perspectives and interests with them. When traveling, I have noticed that cultures can vary from small changes to large changes and the way things are done one place are likely done in a different fashion than another. For example, when I travel to the Caribbean I am always amazed at how they build their structures and their modes of transportation. Obviously they have a warmer climate, making both of those things different from here in Canada but it is interesting to me how a variation of culture causes such changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment